Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Mode of Transportation

This past weekend we went to the toy store because Daniel lost his second tooth.
Our goal was to find a little toy with the money he got from his two teeth falling out.  After about 30 mins. of looking around to try to find something that he would be able to use himself.  We ended up at the wagons.  I've looked at wagons before but could never figure out how we'd be able to get Daniel to sit up by himself.  With the tone of his body when he gets excited he turns into an ironing board.  So I always look and then just pass them by.

Well this time I didn't.  I said we're buying this and we're going to TRY to use it.  If it doesn't work, well then I'll return it or give it to my grand kids.  I guess I did it because I wanted Daniel to have something that wasn't an adapted piece of equipment.  I just wanted it to be like any other child.  So Daniel ended up putting his tooth fairy money towards the wagon instead! 

We put it together and the more we put it together the more excited I got.  See that I was the one who was excited.  I knew it was going to work. I just wanted him to be able to get outside more and not have to be stuck in the house because of the lack of things to do or because of the heat like I mentioned here and here.

So, we let the store with a new little tikes deluxe wagon, a small blow up pool, and a little battery operated fan.
No sooner than it was put together, we went for our first walk ever in a wagon.  Yes, its a little adapted by having his childrite therapy chair seat in there (which fits perfectly) but you know what...I don't care.  All I care about is he LOVED it and I loved that he was able to enjoy himself and not sweat horribly.  We can hook the little fan on the umbrella bar and with a spray bottle he can get misted!

Here he is enjoying our walk with his big sister Caitlin!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Sweet Ride! I'm so happy for you! I know what it means to "feel somewhat normal".

We used to put Eli's Special Tomato Chair in his wagon....but it didn't have a cool canopy like that :)

Have a great day!

Barbara said...

I've been reading your blog for a while but haven't commented much. You inspired me to buy an iPad for me and my 3 year old (for fun and to supplement his communication device and book).

I just had to comment today because the wagon set-up is absolutely brilliant!! Daniel looks like a very happy boy!

Candace said...

Wooo Hoo for wagons! I know a girl whose son is quite profound and cannot sit up at all. He has hated all the wheelchairs he has ever had so they put his foam reclining chair in it and used it instead.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Literally!

Barbara

Unknown said...

That is cool Daniel. We made a corner chair to fit in my son's red flyer wagon when he was 3 yrs old. He is 9 1/2 now. He used it alot, around the yard, at the park, and other places. My son has extremely high tone and he could not sit up in a regular seat. He used the wagon for 3 or 4 yrs until he outgrew the corner chair width wise.

That was a neat idea that you thought of Melanie. I hope Daniel has a lot of fun explore the world around him. Thanks to his mom.

Candace

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Love it! What a great idea to use the Child Rite seat. Hope he has many adventures in his new set of wheels!