Monday, September 29, 2008

Michigan 3 day Breast Cancer Walk

The Michigan 3 day Breast Cancer walk is completed! There were over 3000 walkers, 1500 crew (I believe) and many many blistered feet, sore knees, hips and backs. But all of that is forgotten about when you hear that 7.2 million dollars was raised for a wonderful cause.
It was a very e
motional weekend. Within the first 10 words of the opening ceremony "We do this for our mother..."I was in tears. My mom passed away November 2007, so things are still fresh in that area.




Here are some photos from the opening ceremony

Below are some of Betty's Boobs! I don't know why they are smiling as it is very very early in the morning and they are going to walk 60 miles in 3 days!



Below is at the opening ceremony. These people are on the survivor circle stage. EMOTIONALLY!!!!


The following photos are AFTER walking for 3 days. People are still smiling and waving. Amazing the energy that is there.
Just a random photo to show some of the many walkers



A truly amazing event. I thought oooh I'll lose some weight and walk for a good cause all at the same time. WRONG! There are Pit Stops along the way where you get refills on water, go potty, get medical attention and get snacks. SNACKS!! and as you are walking there are people who just sit their chairs down and have bowls of candy and drinks for you to keep you going. I didn't lose any weight! NONE but that is ok. My brother Greg was the boss for Pit Stop 4. YEA for pit stop 4!!! It rocked!

Anyhow, I am glad it is over, and I am very proud of my family, they are awesome. I am very thankful to all those who donated to allow me to be able to walk, and for my hubby who pulled some much needed funds in from his fellow workers at the last stretch. Thank you.

There are more photos of the event but you'll have to look if you choose on the side bar for flick'r photos. I am not allowed to post the gross picture of blisters on here (viewer discretion advised!)


2 comments:

Justinich Family said...

Way to go Melanie and family. That is so awesome that you all did that and the walk raised so much money.

Melissa said...

Congrats to you guys for doing that!!! The blisters look horrible but I am sure it was worth it in the end.

I second Lonnie's favorite shirt selection...to funny!!!