Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Huge Inchstone

I am sure if you have been a follower of this blog for a while, you know how much I adore getting EEG's done on Daniel (insert eye roll).

You can see examples of why I dread these tests here.
We had to have two different tests done in a two week time period of Christmas break. TWO on different days! UGH

Well we went for the EEG the first week. I decided to take a different method with the trip this time.  I explained to Daniel while I was getting him dressed exactly what we were going to do.  I kept saying "remember last time, you cried because you were scared, but mom and dad still stayed with you" and "remember they stick all those wires to your hair and you looked goofy?".  I was just hoping he understood that regardless of how scared he got or upset that we'd still be there.

Usually when we hit the lobby area, Daniel will start with the whimpering and then when they call us back its the hanging on to me for dear life, then full screams when we are getting him undressed.  I JUST HATE IT.  This time was different, no whimpering, no screams.  The technician we had (we've had tons!) was one that we've worked with before and she knows Daniel well.  When we got to the room she said "OK are we going to sit on mom's lap or do you want to lay down on the table and I'll hook you up?"  He opted for sitting on my lap ;) The only rule was he had to sit still.  

So are you ready for this?  HE SAT THERE ON MY LAP and did not move!  No screams, nothing.  He told her the colors of the wires as she was sticking them to his head. 
Red. Stick on wire. Yellow. Stick on wire. Green. Stick on wire. Purple and so on....then we proceeded to watch a movie and he was DONE!  
I was  beaming!  Lonnie was standing in the hallway saying words like "spectacular, awesome, dumbfounded" It was a completely different kiddo!

On another note, Ms. Techie knew I was worried about the results, so she immediately had the doctor who reads the reports look at it before we left because she didn't want me worrying about it over Christmas.  Well during the 15 minutes I was having a heart attack because I kept thinking "OH Chit, she sees something that's why she is talking to the doctor, oh crap, bad news".  In walks the doctor, well he does show POTENTIAL for  an increased risk of having seizures but we don't show any activity.  WHOOPEE!!! 
Daniel will always have the potential, just because of the brain malformation, but we get excited when there aren't any!  YIPPEE!  An excellent day at the hospital.

Week Two:  VEP/ERG  this involved sedation, putting the wires back on Daniel's head & eye lids,  putting goggles on him that have flashing lights inside.  HATE this test too.  So I did the same thing, explained the whole thing to him.  We get there and we see Ms. Techie - she's doing this test too!  Good for us, because Daniel is familiar with her.  She comes out and says that she is going to try  it a bit different this time since Daniel was so good last week.  UGH.  This time she says  no sedation (which I hate sedating him), we are going to try the Adult test. She has the anesthesiologist and doctor on hand if we need to, but she wants to try this way.  So he again sat on my lap, they hooked all the wires up, turned out the lights and he had to follow lights on the TV monitor for 10 minutes with each eye.  HE DID IT.  Nope a peep of protest.  UNFRICKIN' BELIEVABLE!  

As you can tell I am in awe over the whole experience.  By the way, that test came back normal also!!

I'm actually not dreading the next round of tests in 6 months.  Cross your fingers and lets hope it wasn't a fluke.  A Big Milestone for us...no tears (by Daniel or Mom!)


Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

That is wonderful news! Daniel is just growing by leaps and bounds! So happy to hear the results were good too. : )

Cristina said...

WOW! Congratulations!!! YAY DANIEL! :)

Meghan said...

Wow, that is really fantastic!

Sherry C said...

That's fabulous and he was so brave he is growing up isn't he.