Sunday, August 1, 2010

SUDEP Awareness

SUDEP 
Sudden Death in Epilepsy

I thought I'd done a lot of research when Daniel was diagnosed as an infant. I take a lot of notes, I talk to a lot of people, I talk with a lot of doctors. Not once was SUDEP mentioned to me. We were told that the possibilities of Daniel dying from a result of a massive seizure were greater than the average, but it was never given a name.  Just that sometimes seizures lead to other health issues along the way.

Only because a friend whose son also has epilepsy did I find out about it.

If you know someone who suffers from epilepsy, even if it is controlled and especially if it is not.
 Become aware and check out this site.  Spread awareness.

It saddens me so much when I hear of a person, especially a child who doesn't understand what is happening that has seizures.  Its scary as the parent  that is around the child who has the seizure, there is a feeling of helplessness.  There isn't anything you can do to stop it (except emergency medication).  Sad, the whole thing.
I can't even begin to imagine losing someone to SUDEP.

Unfathomable.


1 comment:

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Oh my! I have never heard of this. Thanks for mentioning it. I am definitely going to read more about it.