Monday, April 19, 2010

School Days ......Again



Guess who started back to school last week?

Yep....Daniel.
We got the clearance from his doctors that it was ok to go back.
He was out during flu season, his immune system is just not the strongest.
He is loving it, got right back into the swing of things. Me....not so much! I was so use to him being at home with me all the time. I love parts of him going to school, but I also love parts of the homeschooling time too.
We are blessed right now because we have a teacher who is awesome and we love her. She is what actually sold me on sending him to preschool in the first place. Two years ago if we hadn't met her I don't think I would have been sending him right now!

Here is the sucky part (you didn't think you'd get through this post without a sucky part did you?). Next school year Daniel will be in kindergarten. OMG - my little one in kindergarten, WOW where has the time gone?

Here is the super suck-ish part.Part One: Ms. Mills will NOT be there next year
Part Two: Kindergarten is full day.
REPEAT ...full days 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
I am sure my face during the IEP was priceless. I just about fell outta my seat, and I heard a few giggles. I had NO CLUE that it was a full day, and then to hear the actual hours 9 -4.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my arms around that. I keep trying to come up with a list of why this will be good for him, but I'm having a hard time. I have a few reasons why its good, but to justify it I have to come up with more.
  1. He loves being social

See everyone sees Daniel as a big boy....
I still see him as this...

6 comments:

Lisa Cj's Mom said...

That is great Daniel is back in school. My son Christopher 7 was out of school for four months this year because of his new diagnosis. He goes to a special needs school 8:30-1:30. I love his teacher and next year he will be in kindergarden too! He will have a new teacher:( He has had the same teacher for 2 1/2 years. I am going to miss her! She is awesome with Christopher! Oh well..he is growing up so fast. I am the winner of the crown and am trying to make up my mind on which one!
I am so excited. I never win anything! Will let you know!

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

I am glad to hear Daniel is back in school and loving it. I cannot believe Kindergarten is 9-4. That just seems NUTS to me. I don't blame you for wanting to fall off your chair - I would have done the same thing.

By the way, that video is SO adorable!

Candace said...

Oh Melanie,
I am not envious, at all. You poor momma!

JSmith5780 said...

9-4?? That's crazy. Full days here are 8-2! OK, so it's only one hour less, but it seems like a lot. Maybe he can work up to full days??

What in the world will you do with yourself?

Sherry C said...

I felt the same way you did.. i didn't want to send Ashley to preschool but was encouraged to by Early Intervention and her physiotherapist and I was so glad I did. Then she went to Junior Kindergarden this fall I was unsure but it has been more then wonderful. That is a long day Ashley school day is from 8:30 until 2:50. She went only morning from Sept until Feb now she goes from 8:30 until 2:30 I pick her up a little early. Ashley goes to a typical school she is the only one in her class that doesn't walk or talk, only one with a g-tube. The kids adore her. They have to take turns to play with her as they all want to. It is the sweetest thing I've even seen. The teachers adore her to. Try to be open minded I bet you will be surprised.

Danielle said...

Yooow-zaaaahs...9-4 is pretty hefty schedule!

I'm sure he'll love it though!

...danielle