Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bake Off

This weekend besides painting Caitlin (my oldest) and I decided to try our hand at making a special cake just for the heck of it.


While we produced our cake, Victoria was excited because her friends got her an Easy Bake Oven. Yes she is 16 yrs old and she got an Easy Bake Oven. Why? I asked too....and I got a “why not?”


So this is what got produced...

026

Looks like your typical chocolate cake. I know you’re thinking big deal its a chocolate cake - get over it! But watch this...

029

that is a 14 Layer Cake. Yep count’em...FOURTEEN layers with a chocolate glaze in between each layer. And its all made from scratch, none of this boxed cake mix stuff for us!! Frosting is from scratch too!!


If you decide to make one of these bad boys, it ends up weighing about 6 lbs. and you will need to make small slices. It is very rich and heavy. You’ll need a big glass of milk too. Then add on about 2 hours of working out to burn off the calories!


Here’s a couple more photos so you can get the full experience..

Making the batter for the cake007

011measuring out the batter into 6 different tinfoil pans to make the thin layers. Hell no we didn’t cut those layers!!

012Ingredients for the glaze that goes between each layer - the glue I guess you could call it.018

Looks like a giant stack of pancakes!019

021Note: If you make this yourself at home, make sure you put something underneath to catch all the chocolate that oozes out.

032 Tada – 14 Layer Cake

033 Caitlin didn’t listen to me throughout the process when I kept saying “Wash the dishes...keep the kitchen neat.”

Nope just kept piling those dishes in the sink!


And she LEFT them there for me. Can you believe that? She left the kitchen dirty and then took the cake home minus the one piece for Lonnie to try. What’s Up with that?!?!


Oh well, our next creation will be done with Victoria and her teal easy bake oven with the 100 watt bulb!


If there is anyone who wants to try making this cake, its fairly easy and you can find the instructions over at our favorite baking site. Bakerella! or email me and I can send it over to you.


I think if I ever make one of these again I’d try it with maybe a raspberry filling in between each layer and then frosted in a chocolate, or maybe a cool whip frosting!


What do you think??

5 comments:

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

I think that is amazing! I would NEVER have the patience to make something like that. I bet it was delicious!

blogzilly said...

14 layers. Isn't that some kind of a record?

Becki said...

Looks yummy!

Dino said...

HELLO, friend. I enjoy pouring through your post. What a great and meticulous patience you've got there to create such a yummy!!

Keep up with your smile and spread the virus of JOY...this lightens up the load of challenges we face each day.

Smithsholidayroad said...

that looks so good!!! yum wish I was having that for dinner rather than a bowl of cereal! bron xo