Friday, May 29, 2009

Tough decision

After a hard decision, we have decided that we can't continue ABR because of the costs. It seemed to be a really great alternative therapy. We saw some improvements.

It is very time consuming and if that is what it takes we were willing to do it.
Unfortunately due to financial issues, we aren't able to continue with the traveling 3 to 4 times a year, and the training sessions, lodging and such.

I really wish we could. But because this is considered an "alternative" therapy, none of it is covered by insurance. We were able to raise some money and save some money but it just wasn't enough in the end. We needed to choose and we'd rather have a house to live in at the end.

So yes, we are still saving money and selling crowns and such to raise more money for other alternative therapies that don't rank up the in the ten of thousands per year. I hate that I have to decide my sons future upon money but unfortunately we don't have a money tree in our back yard. Nor do we have a fairy godmother for Daniel. We only have the two of us.

8 comments:

Rich said...

It's not the end... Keep working hard... We know something will come up! Just keep moving!!!

Webmasters request, could you enable Full Text feed in your RSS section? This way my RSS read will load the whole article! :)

jamie said...

i can totally relate...there is so much more along the lines of alternative therapy i wish we could try with milo...but it all seems so expensive, and we also do not have a money tree. i think i need to plant one though :)

Erin said...

You gave it a fair shot, Mel, so move on and don't feel guilty. I am glad you at least tried it, or I would have never had met you!

I am sure there are tons of other therapies that will benefit Daniel. And he seems like he has been making great strides lately, too.

Hugs to you both.

Bird said...

I can hear you on this one. If I think too hard about how much ABR is costing us then I want to die, but I know that costs will go down after this first year and I keep telling myself that. Also, our extended family has picked up a LOT of the tab. No way we could do it without help.

There are tons of great therapies out there still to try. . . Feldenkrais is great and I'd love to have some extra cash to try hippotherapy.

Keep us posted on the new stuff you try!!

Jacqui said...

I understand. ABR isn't for everyone and I know all too well what you are saying about the cost. We have a different system here and sometimes I am envious of the therapies that you can access through your insurance. Look forward to hearing how you go with other therapies in the future.

Justinich Family said...

I feel the same way about the HBOT and conductive Education taht I want to do for Evan. It is so expensive. But maybe one day.

JoAnn said...

I understand....we're struggling with a similar decision right now. One of the best surgeons in the world (for people with TAR Syndrome) is on the other side of the country. Emma needs surgery on her arms, but we can't really afford the multiple trips to Florida, and 6 weeks or more of hotels, etc. We may just have to see what a surgeon on the west coast can do for her.

It's really tough when you realize your financial limitations with respect to what you can do for your child. I know that you have been doing everything you possibly can for Daniel.

wherever HE leads we'll go said...

It stinks to have to make those kinds of decisions, but I am sure you are making the right one for you family. I have no doubt that you will find other therapies for Daniel. And you never know if the door will open again for ABR - never say never!