- You need to WATCH Daniel. He is non-verbal. If you're not going to take the time to look at him while you are asking him something, you're not going to see his answer.
- He communicates with his eyes and his facial expression. Eye contact is a must when talking with Daniel.
- Daniel knows how to use switches and buttons to communicate. Yes he has problems moving his arms sometimes. Give him a little extra time and you will see he knows what you're asking and what his answer is, just give him the time to get his body to answer the way he wants it too. It takes many more and different muscles to get his arm to move than it does for you!
- Don't assume just because he is Spastic Quad that he is mentally challenged. He is not. Daniel has a very unique way of knowing if you are being fake. (So do his parents!) Don't TRY to pretend you care if you don't. Just stay away from him then, we don't need your bullsh*t. Don't waste his/our time. We have nothing to prove to you. You are no body that means anything to Daniel's future. We will find someone else to get us to our destination and Daniel's success.
- Daniel is very smart. I am not just saying this because I am his parent. Ask the people who have been working with him for years. Ask his doctors. Just because his body outwardly doesn't cooperate doesn't mean that his brain isn't working.
If you're walking into Daniel's life and you think you've already got him pegged because you read some where that he has a brain malformation, seizures, and spastic quad cp so he isn't going to do much. Turn around and walk back out the door you just came in. Because you are now OFFICIALLY not invited to meet the coolest kid you'll ever know. You miss out on the chance to see some really awesome accomplishments. And most of all, you just plain and simple don't get the opportunity to have Daniel in your life. Goodbye.
Hopefully what you'll learn from this experience is that just because someone is labeled a certain way doesn't make them less of a person. Doesn't make you better than him. You aren't and you never will be.
Have a nice day.