Thursday, March 4, 2010

The "r" word


I am not a fan of making/trying to make people feel uncomfortable.
But there comes a time after the third or fourth experience then it begins to p*ss me off, and I will indicate it.

I know it just flows sometimes and people say things like, "It was so ret@rded." and for the most part I will let it pass. But it is duly noted in my memory.

But when it becomes evident that its a standard word in your vocabulary and you use it often...
you have just succeeded in getting me angry. So if you all of a sudden wonder why your followers are lower, this might be a hint to you as to WHY!

The word is offensive, especially when used in the text that you use it. It is a derogatory remark. Perhaps you might want to read up on it here. Or maybe look for where your blog was on our blog, and you'll notice its been replaced!

Again, generally I don't say anything....but this time I am!

9 comments:

Jacqui said...

Good on you. The word is offensive.

MJStump said...

I'm with you. I hate that word too. Amazing how often people say it and just don't think...annoying.

Dawn said...

Agreed. Completely.

Jennifer said...

I hate the word too and shutter everytime I hear it.

Amanda said...

I know, I hate that word too! I don't even like the "correct" term "Mentally Retarded".I know the definition is slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress, but because society has made it into "the new stupid" it drives me nuts! That at "That's Gay" Ugh! My 16 year old brother uses both words in his everyday language and it just makes me want to throttle him!

Keri said...

Yup, another word I could live the rest of my life without ever having to hear again.

Anonymous said...

There was a blogger who used it recently- she got called on it, and all her supporters were defending her. One of them said, "If anyone is using the word retarded for a special needs person, he himself should be called a retard."

Well, what about all the therapists? Geneticists? Neurologists? Are they all retards for using this medical term?

Whatever. I don't think anyone will change, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

As an EI physical therapist, this is such an ugly, vile word. It is an official "bad" word for my kids and my co-workers have felt the wrath as well when using it. No need for it, no place for it. End.of.story.

Tara Bennett said...

Ugh, so many people so this and it breaks my heart!